Thursday, March 13, 2008

Bananna Muff-n-stuff.

I haven't written in a while, but, I just thought of something I could share. A recipe! But please, let me ramble first.

Los and I just bought a bunch of banannas aka "Nannas" as lil Griffin would say. Griffin is the son of good frineds of ours, Christine and Brandon. The reason I'm mentioning lil Griffin is because he was recently hospitalized, he had flu-like symptoms and had 2 seisures, so please keep him in your prayers! He's one of the cutest kids I know!

Anyway, back to my rambling/recipe. It drives my nuts when produce and lunchmeat goes bad. It's one of those pet peeves of mine, so is paying for dirt - I will save that for another blog. Here's a tip, you can actually freeze lunchmeat, it still tastes good when you defrost it.

So my bananas were starting to turn brown, I know they do get sweeter, but I personally don't like them like that. I prefer them pretty firm (hay-oh! that's what she said!). So in order to get rid of them, i thought, bananna nut bread, I've never made bread before, and I don't have a breadmaker, so I thought Muffins! Now, i just started baking very recently. I don't like to measure, so that's why i dont really like it, and I also like to eat pretty healthy, atleast during the week. Sundays are for cheesesteaks, people. I have a recipe for low-fat oatmeal cookies, they are quite delicious and will lower your colesterol! So the muffins go like this:

1 cup whole wheat flour - I used regular, it's all i had.
1/4 cup brown sugar substitute - never heard of it, i used regular- theres not that much, and sometimes i think natural is better than "substitutes"
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/3 cup quick oats - good for lowering colesterol
1/3 cup unblanched sliced almonds - anti-oxidant, I also ground these up in the magic bullet
2 mashed bananas - potassium us gals need, it can't hurt the boys either.
2 egg whites - better than whole eggs
1/4 cup unsalted margarine - I use smart balance butter spread. We love it! It has Omega 3's and made w/soy and olive oils, there are always coupons. In fact, i only use real butter when we run out and and special occasions.
1/4 cup skim milk - we always have skim in the hizzouse.

If anyone has any suggestions for low-fat baking, please let me know. Oh, if you're interested,
I made low-fat stuffed shells (secret: cottage cheese)!

3 comments:

Los said...

You need to develop low fat cheese-steaks, low fat ribs, low fat buffalo wings, etc. If you could develop these, and make them taste good, you'd probably be a millionaire.

As an aside, little Griffin is doing much better - he is home from the hospital, and the doctors were unable to find anything wrong with him. He still has the runs, though.

Sandi said...

When my daughter had a fever this summer she had what is known as a febrile seizure. They are very common in young children, completely harmless, and caused by a fever. They can get one once and never get one again. I am hoping that is all little Griffin had.

Oh, and once upon a time, the lowfat stuffed shells recipe would have been at the top of my must have list, but alas, I have lost way too much weight since my husband died, so I'm looking for "extra fat" recipes.

I thought I was putting on some lbs. actually and looking better until a friend I haven't seen since June came over to see me and the first words out of her mouth were, "Oh you poor thing, you really lost a lot of weight!" so I guess I still look like crap.

Sandi

schue said...

Ahh, ok. I thought that maybe the seizure was probably brought on by his illness, thank goodness it sounds like he'll be ok. It's gotta be frightening for parents!

Sandi, I'm sure you don't look like crap. Just make sure you put on weight the healthy way! Add a protein shake or two to your daily routine and some dark chocolate,it has antioxidants and maybe a potato or sweet potato!